Monday 16 July 2012

Venue training - nearly there!

Two weeks to go until the Olympic Games, London 2012 or whatever you want to call it, begins. Those of us based at Lord's were summoned to one of 3 Venue Training sessions at the weekend. I chose Saturday. Like the summer so far it was wet. Very wet. The wettest July on record in fact, close on the heels of the wettest June. Surely it must buck up for the Olympics?

There is much in the press about the security of the event being a fiasco. Be that as it may there were loads of G4S guards on duty at the East Gate entrance. One of them directed me to the furthest corner of the ground, God knows why. Fortunately I sussed something was wrong before I got too far. In fact the Portakabin I should have been sent to was to the left of his signing-in table. Doesn't really inspire one with confidence does it? I'm sorry for any Forces personnel missing their leave but I for one am glad they are going to be there.

We began by having our accreditation checked and being given a cereal bar from one of our sponsors. We then foregathered in the Thomas Lord Suite, watched from the walls by Nasser Hussain and Michael Vaughan, for a briefing and intro to our Team managers.All very straightforward. This was followed by a tour of the important parts of the ground from our point of view.

The hallowed Long Room.



Alas I was told off by a Member for taking pictures inside so that's all I can add.

Our meal area is on top of the Mound Stand where we get a splendid view of the ground but not necessarily of the archery which is confined to the section in front of the pavilion. All sorts of structures have been erected and you have to wonder what state the cricket playing area will be in once the archery is completed.



Finally we repaired to one of the Corporate Hospitality boxes which are being used as offices for the Games. Here we were told that we are in teams of 6, there won't be any mobility scooters (!) and that as 3000 per show is a relatively small crowd we will proably be on General Information and pushing wheelchair duties. I didn't like to point out that a lot of the time I could do with a wheelchair myself, as it was fairly obvious from the way I had to keep using the only lift that was in operation on Saturday. This could be a problem. We shall see.

We are all apparently going to get walkie-talkies so I must busy myself learning the jargon. I think it was something like Z Victor 1. Or was that an another life?

No comments:

Post a Comment